Group photo of the participants joining the World Migratory Bird Day Event 2019 in Mongolia ©Mongolian Ornithological Society
World Migratory Bird Day Event 2019 in Mongolia
Mongolian Ornithological Society and Ramsar National Committee of Mongolia, Ministry of Environment and Tourism Mongolian, National University of Mongolia, the Freshwater Resources and Nature Conservation Center, Mongolia Focal Point, Ramsar Convention, Mongolica Co.Ltd, The English Academy of Mongolia, Hustai National Park, Golomt bank, Adrenaline Fitness Club, Teso Corporation, MNB TV, Tengis Cinema, Ecology Erdem Club Of NUM, Ikon.mn portal site and other companies.
More than 900 people including local students, bird watchers, researchers, government officials and media.
- More than 900 people were involved in the event.
- During the event, we organized a wonderful contest of painting of the National Bird and Flower. This was the first contest of national pride of animal and plant ever organized. We received over 400 paintings from students of universities and schools and as well as professional painters. All painters and contestants actively participated in the event and learnt about the migratory water birds, the threat to migratory birds and the solution of plastic waste. · One of the most notable accomplishments of the event was a joint effort of parents and children together to watch migratory birds and to learn together about migratory birds
- Well known bird conservationists and professors in the country gave a talk on plastic pollution and its solution in Mongolia for students and school children. They have enjoyed very much these very pragmatic and practical talks.
- Art contest exhibition was a great opportunity to learn each other.
- National TV and other broadcasts had wonderful interview from organizers and they gave a short talk about the migratory birds and WMBD in Mongolia.
With the slogan “Protect birds: Be the solution to plastic pollution”, we co-celebrated the WMBD event with many different stakeholders in Mongolia. The Mongolian Ornithological Society and EAAFP, Ministry of Environment and Tourism Mongolian, National University of Mongolia and Freshwater Resources and Nature Conservation Center hosted the event in collaboration with National Committee of Ramsar Convention, Mongolica Co. Ltd, English Academy of Mongolia, Khustai National Park, Golomt Bank, Adrenaline Fitness Club, Teso Corporation, MNB TV, Tengis Cinema, Ecology Erdem Club Of NUM, Ikon.mn portal site and other companies on 11 May, 2019. This event consists of several activities including training of bird watching and identification, lectures and art contest of beginners and professionals. More than 900 people were involved in the event. Due to limited size of venue and budget, 210 people are invited to the event.
Through the bird watching activity, parents and children worked together on bird identification and learnt each other how to identify a species and count individuals in the field. Also, they learnt how to use the optics as well.
The lectures on “Threats and conservation of birds in Mongolia”, “WMBD and Mongolian National Bird and Flower” and “Waste and Plastic solution” by well-known people, have been given the true understanding of migratory birds and their threats including plastic pollution in Mongolia and our planet.
Drawing and painting of birds’ head on facial mask and wonderful message to migratory birds by all participants were very attractive and interactive activity of the event.
The documentary film about the “Migratory Birds” produced by KNN, Korea and MOS gives wonderful understanding of migratory birds and their threats to a local and global level.
During the event, the organizers hosted the Painting Contest of the Mongolian Prides /National Bird and Flower/ and received 400 paintings from 148 participants. We divided the contest into age category, children and adult. Twelve successful contestants received the prizes follow.
“Mongolian Pride National Flower” Art Work
1. B.Uyanga- First Place
2. B.Maral -Second Place
3. B.Munkhhuslen -Third Place
1. J.Sergelenbold -First Place
2. B.Odonchimeg -Second Place
3. B.Zolzaya-Third Place
“Mongolian Pride National Bird” topic
1. E.Saruulzaya-First Place
2. B.Tsend-Ayush-Second Place
3. L.Nandintsetseg Third Place
1. I. Munkh-Ider -First Place
2. B. Nyam-Osor-Second Place
3. D. Altaikhuu-Third Place
The artwork contest among school children and students, organized by the host in collaboration of school principals and teachers have fully motivated in terms of understanding and knowledge sharing of migratory birds.
After lunch, all participants enjoyed the exhibition of artworks of the “Mongolian Pride /National Bird and Flower”.
Dr. Gombobaatar gave a short-interview on migratory birds and their protection on the National TV. Many people in Mongolia watched this interview.
Lectures about migratory birds ©Mongolian Ornithological Society
Participants enjoyed the lectures about migratory birds ©Mongolian Ornithological Society
Bird watching activity ©Mongolian Ornithological Society
Group photo after bird watching ©Mongolian Ornithological Society