Between the 1st of October and the 28th of December 2015, there have been 42 confirmed highly pathogenic avian influenza (HPAI) outbreaks in poultry, three (3) positive low pathogenic avian influenza (LPAI) surveillance findings in poultry, one (1) positive wild bird case and three (3) human cases in East and Southeast Asia. The following subtypes of avian influenza were observed:
- H5N1 HPAI
- H5N2 HPAI
- H5N6 HPAI
- H5N8 HPAI
- H7N9 LPAI [influenza A(H7N9)]
Countries were affected as follows:
Mainland China, including Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (SAR), reported one (1) HPAI outbreak and three (3) positive LPAI surveillance findings in poultry, one (1) positive wild bird as well as three (3) human cases during the time period, as follows:
- H7N9 LPAI: three (3) reported human cases in Guangdong and Zhejiang Provinces and three (3) positive surveillance findings in domestic ducks and chickens in Guangdong, Hunan and Zhejiang Provinces.
- H5N6 HPAI: 486 out of 5814 peacocks tested positive on a farm in Hunan Province and one (1) dead Oriental Magpie-Robin was confirmed positive in the framework of the routine surveillance programme in Hong Kong SAR.
In addition, Taiwan Province reported nine (9) H5N2 HPAI outbreaks during the time period, affecting domestic chickens (6), ducks (2), and geese (1).
Republic of Korea
The Republic of Korea reported 10 H5N8 HPAI outbreaks during the time period, affecting domestic ducks (6), chickens (1) and unspecified domestic birds (3).
Viet Nam reported 19 HPAI outbreaks in the time period, as follows:
- H5N1 HPAI: five (5) outbreaks, affecting unspecified domestic birds.
- H5N6 HPAI: fourteen (14) outbreaks, one (1) in a farm holding chickens, Muscovy ducks and quail in Lai Chau Province and the remainder (13) affecting unspecified domestic birds.
Lao People’s Democratic Republic
Lao PDR reported one (1) H5N6 HPAI outbreak during the time period in Xaignabouli Province, affecting unspecified domestic birds.
Cambodia reported two (2) H5N1 HPAI outbreaks in Siem Reap and Battambang Provinces during the time period, affecting domestic ducks.
The map shows all avian influenza outbreaks observed between 1 October and 28 December 2015 in the East and Southeast Asia region by subtype and species affected:
Thanks to Scott Newman, FAO/the Avian Influenza Working Group Co-chair for this summary.
To find out more, please click the links below: